Below is a list of research articles and reports related to disparities that have been vetted by our research subcommittee. Please click on the links below for additional information including abstracts and in some cases full-length articles.
- Bina, R. The impact of cultural factors upon postpartum depression: a literature review. Health Care Women International, 2008 July 29: 568-92.
- Corwin, E. J., Guo, Y., Pajer, K., Lowe, N., McCarthy, D., Schmiege, S & Stafford, B. (2013). Immune dysregulation and glucocorticoid resistance in minority and low income pregnant women. Psychoneuroendocrinolog
y, 38(9), 1786-1796.
- Gordon, D. M., Campbell, C., Washington, K., Albritton, T., Divney, A., Magriples, U., & Kershaw, T. (2016). The Influence of General Discrimination and Social Context on Young Urban Expecting Couples’ Mental Health. Journal of child and family studies, 25(4), 1284-1294.
- Fellmeth, G., Fazel, M., Plugge, E. Migration and perinatal mental health in women from low- and middle-income countries: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BJOG. 2016 June 20. doi: 10.1111/1471-0528.14184
- Halbreich, U., & Karkun, S. (2006). Cross-cultural and social diversity of prevalence of postpartum depression and depressive symptoms. Journal of affective disorders, 91(2), 97-111.
- Hodgkinson, S., Beers, L., Southammakosane, C., & Lewin, A. (2014). Addressing the mental health needs of pregnant and parenting adolescents. Pediatrics, 133(1), 114-122.
- Kozhimannil, K. B., Trinacty, C. M., Busch, A. B., Huskamp, H. A., & Adams, A. S. (2011). Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Postpartum Depression Care Among Low-Income Women. Psychiatric Services (Washington, D.C.), 62(6), 619–625.
- Mukherjee, S., Trepka, M. J., Pierre-Victor, D., Bahelah, R., & Avent, T. (2016). Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Antenatal Depression in the United States: A Systematic Review. Maternal and child health journal, 1-18.
- O’Brien, A. P., McNeil, K. A., Fletcher, R., Conrad, A., Wilson, A. J., Jones, D., & Chan, S. W. (2017). New Fathers’ Perinatal Depression and Anxiety—Treatment Options: An Integrative Review. American journal of men's health, 11(4), 863-876.
- Rosenthal, L., Earnshaw, V. A., Lewis, T. T., Reid, A. E., Lewis, J. B., Stasko, E. C., ... & Ickovics, J. R. (2015). Changes in experiences with discrimination across pregnancy and postpartum: Age differences and consequences for mental health. American journal of public health, 105(4), 686-693.
- Ross, L.E. (2005). Perinatal mental health in lesbian mothers: a review of potential risk and protective factors. Women Health, 41(3),113-28.
- Segre LS, O’Hara MW, Losch ME. (2006). Race/ethnicity and perinatal depressed mood. J Reprod Infant Psychol, 24(02):99–106. doi:10.1080/02646830600643908
- Wildemana, C., Schnittkerb, J., & Turney, K. (2012). Despair by Association? The Mental Health of Mothers with Children by Recently Incarcerated Fathers. American Sociological Review, 77(2), 216-243.